Sunday, July 21, 2013

A family of 5 pushovers and one crawler


So Zachy still isn't walking yet. It's looking like he really is going to crawl into nursery in just a few weeks. And to think we laughed about that. I'm thinking he is the first kid in history to do that (please reassure me with stories of how he isn't!) It isn't that I think he needs walking therapy or that there is anything physically wrong with his legs but it still pangs me a bit when I see kids at church much younger than him walking (and running) around. He pulls himself up to stand all the time now and will walk around while holding our hands, but cruising along furniture or with a push toy seems to terrify him. I know that he is babied at our house, but he's such a cute baby!  :)

Yesterday, I decided it was time to get serious so I staged some walking therapy of my own. He had pulled himself up to stand at the kitchen table bench and I gave him a chocolate chip which he wolfed right down. Then I set some out of his reach and I watched him stretch and stretch until he managed to reach another one. I watched him try that tactic again with no success so he went to Plan B: shout and cry. It wasn't too long after that that Owen and Eli came running in to see what all the fuss was about and when they saw that the chocolate was out of Zachy's reach, they pushed it closer. He happily gobbled a few more up before I moved it out of reach and he started crying again. This time I explained what we were doing by keeping them out of his reach in the hope that he'd cruise over to them. We all watched him cry for a minute and then Owen carefully reached over and quietly handed it to him. Not one of said a word as we watched our suddenly happy baby laugh and then give us a chocolatey grin.

We are all such pushovers.

4 comments:

alecia said...

How can you not be a pushover when it comes to cute babies!?! I give into Michael all the time and he has since learned how to scream very, very well! :)

ann said...

This will be a great story for when Zach goes on his mission & gets married!

Rachel said...

Here's a small comfort: my dear sister Megan did not walk when she went to nursery. My parents walked carried her in, sat her down, and walked out. But as you well know, she is a full-fledged walker today! Never fear. If he'll actually go to nursery, your life will be richly blessed, am I right?

Elder Richey said...

Thanks, Rachel. That actually does bring me some comfort :)