Thursday, June 27, 2013

Marcus is 8 so let's stay up late!


 Turning 8 is a big deal at our house because it is the year a child is baptized. I wondered about what kind of fun party we could have for Marcus and decided we'd do a late night shindig with some of his good friends. The three little Richey's went to grandma's house for a sleepover and that made it possible for the boys to be loud and crazy :) Because Marcus is my oldest child, he and I sort of learn together and he helps me create fun traditions and ideas for my boys. For each of his birthdays, I have made a creative cake but I think that will just last until 8 and then it'll shift to just a yummy cake that they choose (and not one shaped like a volcano or race car). This shift to regular cakes came about when Marcus wanted me to make him some computer game cake that sounded both crazy and complicated and so I said, "Why don't you pick a yummy flavor cake and we'll make that." Lucky for me, he'd also had his eye on the peanut butter cup ice cream cake at Winco, so that's what we went with. This cake was eaten by just the blood relatives on his actual birthday and the kids who came to party a few days later got cupcakes--you're welcome, blood relatives!

 Our family has decided not to do friend sleepovers for various reasons so having a late night party with friends was an extra special treat. The boys arrived at 7 and we roasted hotdogs and smores. One boy asked me if he could have seconds and Tim answered, "And fifths!"

 After the roast, we came in for cupcakes, presents, and then I had a big basket of movie treats and popcorn. They finished off the evening watching "Wreck It Ralph." There may or may not have even been an impromptu dance party during the closing credits. The party ended at 10 but one little friend said, "Wow, it must be midnight!"
What's a party without a little gore, right? Marcus lost his eighth tooth at his eighth birthday party. The boys were suitably impressed.

3 comments:

Harlin Family said...

I love that tradition! You are an awesome mom! :)

alecia said...

That is fantastic! I also love that tradition, we will have to do that too. Although I have quite a few years before I need to start thinking about friend parties. :)

ann said...

What a wonderful time had by all!