Saturday, June 22, 2013

15 kids in one

I have a friend who recently stopped babysitting two little boys. I asked her what it was like to not have them around anymore, she has other little children of her own and I wondered if two less bodies really freed up a lot of her time. Her husband jumped in and said, "But so and so was like 15 kids in one." We laughed and I thought to myself that phrase perfectly describes my Ownie. He is my busiest and most challenging little boy and I love him to pieces but man oh man being his mother is teaching me a lot of lessons--the biggest one being patience and another one being gentleness and unconditional love. Owen is stubborn and physical and loud. He plays hard and he is tough. He is also sensitive and cuddly. He has a hard time listening and that has nothing to do with the anatomical workings of his ears. He simply chooses not to listen so so much of the time. He reminds me of a wiggly little puppy. It would be so easy to spend the majority of the day correcting him or getting after him or nagging him but I don't want those to be the only messages he hears from me or his dad or brothers. I am trying to love him for the little precious spirit he is and so I'm working on picking my battles so to speak and trying to guide in loving ways instead.

I read this wonderful talk titled "The Great Plan of Happiness" by Dallin H.Oaks and something he said has been helping me be better lately. He said, "The Savior taught that we should lay up treasures in heaven (see Matt 6 19-21). In light of the ultimate purpose of the plan of happiness, I believe that the ultimate treasures on earth and in heaven are our children and our posterity." When days are difficult and Owen has dumped popcorn all over the floor or is mad because it is Eli's turn with a particular toy, I can hear Elder Oaks gently reminding me that Owen is my treasure. And when I look at this picture of him at the splash park I think to myself, and what a wonderful, beautiful, and amazing treasure he is.

2 comments:

ann said...

Owen is a treasure of a grandson as well as of your boys. Katie, you are a great mom and your boys are truly blessed to have you as their mother!

k said...

Thank you for sharing that!