Thursday, April 04, 2013

School Musical

The star with his "rose" (carnation).
Marcus is in a 2nd/3rd grade combo class at school and sometimes it really pays off. Like in the fall when they had a swim program where all the 3rd grade classes got to go swimming once a week at the local YMCA, well guess what? About 8 little second graders got to go, too. Just a few weeks ago, the 3rd and 4th graders at our elementary school participated in a musical to celebrate Boise turning the big 150. Those same 8 little 2nd graders got to be a part. The kids practiced for about 2 months and then it was held in a cool theater downtown. We made a special night of it and went to dinner at the Spaghetti Factory before (and sat in the train!) and then we got to watch Marcus perform. It was really well done and very cute, but I'm going to guess that in order to truly love it you must a. have a child performing b. live in Boise. Luckily, I fit into both categories so I LOVED it.

I know sometimes public schools get such a bad rap, and I agree that there are problems and lots that could be better, but I also believe that there are some amazing and wonderful people in the public school system who are trying really hard to bless the lives of the kids they work with. I think there are also great people in the community who want to help the kids, too. I know I've met some really kind and sincere people through PTO. So hooray for school and hooray for awesome people who teach, volunteer, and support our kiddos. You guys all make smiles like the one above, possible. (Oh, the cheese!)

1 comment:

ann said...

I am so glad Marcus had fun in his play. I totally agree with you...my 4 kids went thru the public school system & they turned out OK. Marcus is so smart that he will do great no matter what school he goes to.
WAY TO GO, MARCUS!!