Friday, August 30, 2013

Back to school


Marcus started third grade on Tuesday. We were all ready for school to start. Don't get me wrong, it has been a great summer, but after our family vacation the beginning of August was over and there was no more fun stuff to look forward to, and it was super hot and gross . . . well, we all just started getting on each others' nerves and were ready for the structure and routine that come with school. The Sneak Peek was on Monday and Marcus was super excited to meet his teacher but even more excited to see if his best friend was in his class. He is! In fact, all of Marcus's little friends from last year our in his class so that made him really happy. His teacher is very nice and comes highly recommended by parents whose opinions I trust so that was good. He has gone to school happy and come home happy every day, so I call the first week a success.

Owen and Eli will go to preschool this year and they are over the moon excited. They start on September 11. We're returning to the preschool that Marcus went to and I am looking forward to being a part of that little slice of heaven on earth again. They'll go three times a week for two hours a day.
We continued our back to school dinner tradition with homemade pizza and chocolate cake. Afterwards, Tim gave each one of them a blessing. I like these traditions that strengthen our family bonds and also help my kids to feel happy and excited about school and learning.

I'm going to serve as the PTO vice president again this year. It's my second year in that role, before that I served two years as the secretary. I'm hoping the old adage of three times a bridesmaid, never a bride can carry over to this as well--twice a PTO vice-pres, never a president . . . Seriously, though, the president this year is a good friend of mine and our first meeting together to sort of get things organized was at Sonic with milkshakes and we may have been there chatting for 2 (or more) hours. So, I'm feeling pretty good about this year.

1 comment:

ann said...

You are a wonderful mother, I love your traditions. I am glad the boys love school & are doing great.